As you know, bed bugs are making a comeback around the world. So that we can best support the industry and consumers in understanding the re-emergence of this pest and to help determine necessary action by the industry, we seek responses from pest management professionals to a brief survey. (Because of the importance of the data to be collected, we ask that only pest management professionals complete the survey.)
Please take 10-15 minutes to fill out and return this survey that was developed by the NPMA Staff and the University of Kentucky. Your feedback is requested no later than March 22, 2010. If your company has more than one branch, please answer only for the branch at which you are located or with the help of regional/district/other branch managers, please fill out a separate survey for each location. We will then tabulate the findings and share them in an upcoming issue of the PestWorld newsletter and at future meetings.
We appreciate your support.
3. My company principally does business in which of the following? (Check all that apply.)
4. Specify the percentage of your companys work that is commercial and residential (totals should add up to 100).
6. Have you treated or been asked to treat for bed bugs within the past year?
7. Did your company receive calls to treat bed bug infestations (Check all that apply)
8. Do you feel that the incidence of bed bugs in your region is:
10. If you believe they are increasing, what do you think is the cause?
12. In which of the following locations have you encountered bed bugs?
13. Which of the following methods are you currently using to find bed bugs? (Check all that apply.)
14. Which of the following methods do you normally use to control bed bugs?
15. For each of the above methods you checked in the preceding question, how effective are the methods that you use (10 being the most effective and 1 being the least effective.)
16. If you use insecticide sprays, indicate below which sites you apply products to.
17. Please indicate below which insecticides you use most frequently in treating bed bugs. (Please include the chemical name along with the product name when possible, e.g., Tempo/cyfluthrin, Phantom/chlorfenapyr ). Along side each chemical, please rate its effectiveness based on the following scale:
1 - Not Effective
2 - Somewhat Effective
3 - Effecitve
4 - Very Effective
18. When treating for bed bugs, does your company typically treat beds using insecticides?
19. If you answered "yes" to the question above, check the appropriate box below.
21. Are you satisfied with the performance of todays bed bug insecticides?
22. Have you encountered bed bug populations that appear to be resistant to insecticides?
23. If yes, how often do you encounter this?
25. Does your company price bed bug work by the hour or by the job?
28. How do these customers typically feel about the need to apply insecticides?
29. How concerned do you think health and government officials are about bed bugs?
30. For your company, how much of a concern is litigation or negative publicity from bed bugs?
31. Does you company use a specific bed bug contract?
33. Do you receive more bed bug calls at certain times of the year?
35. Do you feel there is a correlation between bed bugs and poverty?
36. Has anyone in your company accidentally transported bed bugs to their home or to the office?
37. If you answered "no" to the question above, are you concerned with the potential of this occuring?
41. Do you utilize bed bug detecting dogs, either using your own team or by contracting with a "handler?”
42. Are there any resources or actions that your state pesticide regulatory agency could take that would assist with the bed bug problem? (e.g.- consumer education, industry training, enforcement, registration, etc.)